Kusama (KSM) is a scalable dedicated blockchain network, built using Substrate and roughly the same codebase as Polkadot. The Network is a test development environment for teams looking to move quickly and innovate on Kusama or prepare to deploy on Polkadot.
Kusama was founded in 2019 by Gavin Wood, founder of Polkadot, co-founder and former CTO of Ethereum.
Origin of Kusama
The relationship between society and technology has deteriorated to the point where influencers frequently stretch and extend beyond their powers.
Kusama is a network built like a “little bird in a thunderstorm”, taking risks and moving quickly for brother Polkadot. It is an existing platform built for change agents to regain control, spark innovation, and disrupt the status quo.
What can you do on Kusama?
On Kusama you can:
- Explore politics. Campaign as a councilor or vote on New Democracy proposals during the campaign.
- Finalize your authenticator setup. The minimum requirement for staking as a validator on Kusama is much lower than Polkadot’s expectations. There are also programs like Thousands of Validators to help the community validators increase their rankings.
- Deploy parachain (parallel blockchain with Polkadot). Kusama will get the functionality needed for the parachain before Polkadot. This includes participating in parachain auctions and aggregating applications.
- Join an online secret society. The Kappa Sigma Mu Association requires you to have a Kusama tattoo in order to participate.
- Expect chaos. Kusama is being tested in combat more and more but it is built on a foundation of moving fast and trying new things.
Kusama is owned by KSM token holders. There is no central kill switch and all changes are made through the on-chain governance of the protocol. Kusama is the test. Nothing is guaranteed.
The utility of Kusama
Process and ship your product fast. Kusama’s risk-taking and agile mobility allows developers to move quickly in the governance and upgrade process, enabling rapid progress and growth.
Low economic barriers
Launch your custom blockchain (parachain) project with low barriers to entry. Ideal for lean startups that move quickly and iteratively.
Build on a protected, multi-generational network and use the latest features before they’re deployed on Polkadot.
Kusama is owned and operated by a community of network participants who vote and control the growth of the network. Your voice and footprint will be in the growth of the network.
Join the community
Leverage Polkadot’s global brand, developer community for your parachain, parathread or dApp.
For teams looking to move to Polkadot after refining Kusama, start building your community and brand on Kusama prior to deployment.
The characteristics of Kusama
Kusama is built by the same teams as Polkadot, using roughly the same code and tools. This network puts the latest technology from Parity Technologies and the Web3 Foundation into the hands of developers, even before these features appear on Polkadot.
Ability of extension
Kusama’s blockchain shards and open governance provide scalable future infrastructure for businesses, markets, and applications for deployment and growth.
Kusama brings together multiple blockchains into a fork network, freeing developers from silos created by legacy blockchain networks.
With Substrate, developers can build their application-specific blockchain and connect it to Kusama.
In Kusama, no kill switch means no central authority can stop it. The only way to end the network is through governance, if the KSM owner decides to end the network and this is highly unlikely. In the future, Kusama may connect to Polkadot through a bridge or as a decentralized relay sub-chain.
You can see KSM prices here.
According to AZCoin News
Follow the Twitter page | Subscribe to Telegram channel | Follow the Facebook page